Friday, August 28, 2009

Hypermiling on WB 39

A few weeks ago I was asked to do a segment on WB39 on Hypermiling. Originally the reporter called and asked me some of the basic "What is Hypermiling" and "How do you Hypermile", then the discussion turned to how to do the Hypermiling shoot. They wanted to know what kind of car I drive, and if the camera man could fit in it ;-). I explained that most Hybrids are actually pretty roomy, but that it might make for a better segment if I took their car and taught them how to drive it. They agreed.

What I got was a Hummer! No joke. Initially they said "you can't hypermile my car", when pressed the response was "well.... its a Hummer! You can't hypermile a Hummer". Well now the gauntlet was thrown. I had to to show them just what Hypermiling is capabile of. So I researched the 5 cylinder Hummer engine and got some good advice, but in the end I just had to wing it. I asked which they wanted to see, City or Highway hypermiling. I explained that City might make for better shooting since there are generally more things I have to do in City Hypermiling than in Highway hipermiling.

 

So the shoot went off fairly well. The Hummer was rated for 14 mpg in the city and we managed to pull off 23.9. All in all, I think they were pleased.

Anyway here's the link and the video is embedded above:

No comments:

Post a Comment